OSU welcomes former undergraduate McNair Scholars to apply to become OSU McNair Graduate Fellows
The OSU McNair Graduate Fellowship Program offers former undergraduate McNair Scholars an opportunity to pursue their graduate studies in a supportive environment with colleagues from other undergraduate McNair programs throughout the United States.
What is a qualifying undergraduate McNair Scholar Program?
“The McNair Scholars Program is a federal TRIO program funded at 200 institutions across the United States and Puerto Rico by the U.S. Department of Education. It is designed to prepare undergraduate students for doctoral studies through involvement in research and other scholarly activities. McNair participants are either first-generation college students with financial need, or members of a group that is traditionally underrepresented in graduate education and have demonstrated strong academic potential. The goal of the McNair Scholars Program is to increase graduate degree awards for students from underrepresented segments of society.” (mcnairscholars.com) Former undergraduates from McNair Scholars Programs may apply to become OSU McNair Graduate Fellows.
Benefits of the OSU McNair Graduate Fellowship Program
- Tuition waiver with or without assistantship
- Named fellowship for resume/CV
- Access to competitive research and professional development funding
- OSU McNair Graduate Fellow honor cords for graduate commencement
OSU McNair Graduate Fellowship Program is competitive. The following are program requirements:
Must have been an undergraduate McNair Scholar
- Must provide a letter of good standing from undergraduate institution
- Must apply within 5 years of completing undergraduate degree
- Must apply for acceptance to the McNair Graduate Fellows program as part of the application process
- Only applies to residential graduate programs on Stillwater, Tulsa, or Center for Health Sciences campuses – no distance learning or outreach formats
- Graduate certificate programs are not eligible for this or other tuition benefit programs.
- Cannot be used to earn a second master’s or doctoral degree
- Cannot accept or have access to other tuition waiver programs, including faculty/staff programs
- Must participate in OSU McNair Graduate Fellowship Program activities
- McNair Graduate Fellowship and subsequent tuition waiver is applicable to one OSU graduate degree
- Renewal of the McNair Graduate Fellowship is contingent upon satisfactory progress each term
- See the OSU McNair Graduate Fellowship Tuition Waiver Contract for additional provisions
The McNair Fellow Tuition Waiver Program is competitive and is not guaranteed, irrespective of the application waiver received. Also, all graduate student benefit programs, such as tuition waivers, are only available to individuals with a primary classification as graduate students. For example OSU employees taking graduate classes do not qualify for graduate student benefit programs, irrespective of whether their employment is a benefit eligible position. One cannot opt-out of certain benefits in an a-la-carte manner to seek eligibility for other benefits. Please contact our office (email@example.com) in the Graduate College for more information.
Apply for an OSU qualifying graduate program, using the Former McNair Scholar Application Fee Waiver.