- About OSU
- News and Information
- Visit OSU
- Faculty / Staff
- Online Support
- Student Life
- On Campus
- Online Support
- Future Students
- First Steps
- Academic Opportunities
- Student Services
- University Resources
- Apply Now
Honorary Graduate Commencement Marshal Nominations
Fall 2017 Graduate College
Honorary Graduate Commencement Marshals
limited submission – one per academic unit – no self-nominations
The Graduate College is pleased to continue the Honorary Graduate Commencement Marshal award program. Up to two doctoral and two master’s graduates will be selected through a nomination process to serve as honorary graduate marshals for the Fall 2017 Commencement Ceremony. Preference will be given to graduate student nominations from programs with up-to-date graduate program handbooks. As a service to graduate programs, a handbook template (not all sections will be relevant to all programs) is available on the D2L Brightspace Graduate Faculty website: https://online.okstate.edu/d2l/home.
Each recipient will receive a $1,000 award, be recognized at commencement, be listed in the program, be provided special gown adornments, and lead the graduates in the processionals/recessionals and awarding of the diploma covers. Honorees’ guests will be provided preferred ceremony seating.
Nominees are expected to have demonstrated scholarly achievement, as evidence by academic performance and discipline-appropriate scholarly contributions. The brief nomination narrative should focus on the nominee’s OSU contributions that capture the essence of our land-grant mission. Nominees should have completed or be completing their graduate degrees in summer or fall 2017, respectively, and may not have already walked in an earlier commencement ceremony.
Each graduate program is limited to one submission and self-nominations are not accepted. The following nomination materials should be emailed by the Graduate Coordinator as a single PDF document to email@example.com by 5:00 pm, Friday, October 6, 2017:
1. Graduate Coordinator name and sponsoring graduate program name
2. Full name of the nominee, CWID, and degree name with option(s)
3. Nominee’s unofficial OSU transcript
4. Nominee’s CV/Resume
5. Brief (250 words) nomination narrative elaborating on the nominee’s contributions to OSU’s land-grant mission and compelling reasoning for their selection as a recipient of this honor.
6. Certification statement by the graduate program coordinator or unit head that the current graduate program handbook is up to date. Please provide a link to the current handbook with the certification. The Graduate College reviews handbooks for alignment with current policies and best practices as a service to graduate programs. If you would like your handbook reviewed, please provide an electronic copy to firstname.lastname@example.org. Contact Dr. Jean Van Delinder with handbook questions.
Marshals will be selected by the dean of the Graduate College and/or her designees, and winners will be notified in late fall 2017. The honorees are required to attend the Fall 2017 Commencement Ceremony at 7 pm on Friday, December 15, 2017.
The OSU Graduate College – advancing the future by graduate degrees