- About OSU
- News and Information
- Visit OSU
- Faculty / Staff
- Online Support
- Student Life
- On Campus
- Online Support
- Future Students
- First Steps
- Academic Opportunities
- Student Services
- University Resources
- Apply Now
Master of Science in Interdisciplinary Sciences
The Master of Science in Interdisciplinary Sciences is for students who wish to increase their competence in a particular thematic area by taking a series of courses in several disciplines. This multidisciplinary approach provides educational opportunities leading to a variety of careers. Interdisciplinary sciences consist of no fewer than three separate fields of study with at least six hours in each field. No more than 15 hours may be taken in any one area. The advisory committee will assist the student in formulating the Plan of Study.
An undergraduate grade-point average of 3.00 is required for unqualified admission. Students with a grade-point average between 2.50 and 3.00 may be admitted on a probationary basis.
Applications to the program should include:
- a cover letter indicating the personal goals and professional objectives to be obtained from the program;
- transcripts from all schools previously attended;
- three letters of recommendation from persons who can describe abilities, interest, and motivation as a student;
- a proposed course of study with an endorsement from an OSU faculty adviser.
Particular courses are not specified for the degree; the advisory committee can assist in selecting appropriate courses. The course of study must include at least 21 credit hours at the graduate level (5000 or above). Up to nine graduate hours can be transferred from a regionally-accredited graduate program with consent of the advisory committee. The student chooses any of the three master's degree plans:
- a 30-hour plan, including a six-hour research thesis;
- a 34-hour plan, including a two-credit hour formal report; or
- a 36-hour plan with a well-defined, creative and scholarly component.
Contact Dr. Jean Van Delinder firstname.lastname@example.org