- About OSU
- News and Information
- Visit OSU
- Faculty / Staff
- Online Support
- Student Life
- On Campus
- Online Support
- Future Students
- First Steps
- Academic Opportunities
- Student Services
- University Resources
- Apply Now
McNair Graduate Fellowship Information
OSU welcomes former undergraduate McNair Scholars to apply to become OSU McNair Graduate Fellows
The OSU McNair Graduate Fellowship Program offers former undergraduate McNair Scholars an opportunity to pursue their graduate studies in a supportive environment with colleagues from other undergraduate McNair programs throughout the United States.
What is a qualifying undergraduate McNair Scholar Program?
“The McNair Scholars Program is a federal TRIO program funded at 200 institutions across the United States and Puerto Rico by the U.S. Department of Education. It is designed to prepare undergraduate students for doctoral studies through involvement in research and other scholarly activities. McNair participants are either first-generation college students with financial need, or members of a group that is traditionally underrepresented in graduate education and have demonstrated strong academic potential. The goal of the McNair Scholars Program is to increase graduate degree awards for students from underrepresented segments of society.” (mcnairscholars.com) Former undergraduates from McNair Scholars Programs may apply to become OSU McNair Graduate Fellows.
Benefits of the OSU McNair Graduate Fellowship Program
- Tuition waiver with or without assistantship
- Named fellowship for resume/CV
- Access to competitive research and professional development funding
- OSU McNair Graduate Fellow honor cords for graduate commencement
OSU McNair Graduate Fellowship Program is competitive. The following are program requirements:
Must have been an undergraduate McNair Scholar
- Must provide a letter of good standing from undergraduate institution
- Must apply within 5 years of completing undergraduate degree
- Must apply for acceptance to the McNair Graduate Fellows program as part of the application process
- Only applies to residential graduate programs on Stillwater, Tulsa, or Center for Health Sciences campuses – no distance learning or outreach formats
- Graduate certificate programs are not eligible for this or other tuition benefit programs.
- Cannot be used to earn a second master’s or doctoral degree
- Cannot accept or have access to other tuition waiver programs, including faculty/staff programs
- Must participate in OSU McNair Graduate Fellowship Program activities
- McNair Graduate Fellowship and subsequent tuition waiver is applicable to one OSU graduate degree
- Renewal of the McNair Graduate Fellowship is contingent upon satisfactory progress each term
- See the OSU McNair Graduate Fellowship Tuition Waiver Contract for additional provisions
The McNair Fellow Tuition Waiver Program is competitive and is not guaranteed, irrespective of the application waiver received. Also, all graduate student benefit programs, such as tuition waivers, are only available to individuals with a primary classification as graduate students. For example OSU employees taking graduate classes do not qualify for graduate student benefit programs, irrespective of whether their employment is a benefit eligible position. One cannot opt-out of certain benefits in an a-la-carte manner to seek eligibility for other benefits. Please contact our office (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the Graduate College for more information.
Apply for an OSU qualifying graduate program, using the Former McNair Scholar Application Fee Waiver.
To receive an application fee waiver for former McNair Scholars, obtain a letter of good standing from your McNair director and upload it to your OSU graduate application prior to submitting it as directed below. If needed, here is an example of a good standing letter.
To upload your letter of good standing:
- Save your director signed letter in pdf, .doc, .docx, .rtf, or .txt format
- Complete your application
- On page 13, complete the “Did you graduate from a recognized Ronald E. McNair Scholars program?” section
- Upload your letter
Difficulties uploading your letter? Please contact the Graduate College (405-744-6368) and ask for Dr. Ken Clinkenbeard.
Continue on to request an application fee waiver:
- Selecting the “Submit and Pay” button on the lower right
- On the “Payment Processing” page, click the “Request a Fee Waiver” selection
- Choose the “I am a McNair Scholar” button
- Once your eligibility for the former McNair Scholar application fee waiver is confirmed and you are admitted to a qualifying OSU graduate program, you will be automatically reviewed for eligibility for the OSU McNair Graduate Fellowship Program. This is a competitive program and applying early for your preferred graduate program is strongly suggested. If you are selected for a Fellowship offer, you will be contacted by the OSU Graduate College.
McNair Graduate Fellows are required to complete the McNair Graduate Tuition Waiver Agreement to receive waiver benefits. The agreement explains the obligations and restrictions that apply to the tuition waiver benefits. In addition, the normal tuition waiver policy found here also apply to McNair Graduate Fellowship Tuition Waivers.
Graduate student benefits of this program, such as tuition waivers, are available only to individuals with a primary classification as graduate students. For example, OSU employees taking graduate classes do not qualify for graduate student benefit programs, irrespective of whether their employment is a benefit eligible position. In addition, one cannot opt-out of certain benefits in an a-la-carte manner to seek eligibility for other benefits.
If you have any questions, please contact the Graduate College (405-744-6368) and ask for Dr. Ken Clinkenbeard (email@example.com).
OSU is a Research-Extensive University, and graduate students play a vital role in both its teaching and research missions. Over 1700 graduate students help finance their graduate education at OSU through employment as Graduate Teaching Assistants/Associates (GTA) and Graduate Research Assistants/Associates (GRA).The use of “assistant” applies to master’s-level and “associate” to doctoral-level GTA and GRA appointments. For more information
Enrolled OSU graduate students who are McNair Graduate Fellows in good academic standing are eligible to apply for up to $500 in travel expense reimbursements from the OSU Graduate College for single-event travel expenses related to professional development, such as attendance at a professional conference/meeting or collection of research data.
OSU Travel Policies apply, and questions regarding reimbursable travel expenses and the reimbursement procedures should be directed to Ms. Jodie Kennedy (405-744-6368; firstname.lastname@example.org) in the Graduate College prior to making travel plans.
To be eligible for potential travel reimbursement
1. Complete and submit this travel award form and requested documentation as soon as you receive confirmation for your professional conference/meeting attendance or finalized plans for research data collection travel. Click here to submit form.