Skip Navigation
Oklahoma State University

Transfer Credit FAQ

No. There is not a different application process for students that are already in a graduate program at another institution. You should apply and be admitted as normal. The review of transfer credit might be done within your department at the time of admission, but it is not part of the admission process at OSU. Transfer credit is evaluated during the submission of the plan of study, which is done during the second or third semester.


Yes. Up to nine hours of graduate level coursework taken at an accredited university can be transferred to a master’s degree at Oklahoma State University. The courses must have been completed with a letter grade of ‘B’ or better. The courses must be less than ten years old at the time of your graduation. And please remember that any transfer credits must be approved by your advisory committee, just like the rest of your plan of study.

There are time limits for degree completion for both masters and doctoral degrees at OSU. Masters student have seven years from first admission to complete their degree. Doctoral students have nine years. There is also a separate time limit for coursework validity. Courses are valid for ten years. This means that at the time of your graduation, no courses older than ten years can be included on your plan of study as part of the degree requirements. This can be especially relevant if you switch degree programs while at OSU or are transferring in hours from another university.

Admission to a sixty hour PhD or EdD program requires the completion of a master’s degree. The existence of the master’s degree allows the thirty hour reduction from a ninety hour program, but none of the courses are actually transferred. If you have other graduate work beyond the master’s degree (including a second master’s degree), you could transfer up to nine hours of those courses toward your doctoral program at OSU.

A doctoral student who wishes to transfer coursework from a similar doctoral program at an accredited university is not limited to nine hours. There is no official maximum limit on transfer credit hours for a student in this situation. But they must complete a minimum of thirty credit hours at OSU.

That depends on the degree you are pursuing at OSU. For credential evaluation purposes, medical professional degrees (e.g., DO, DVM and MD) are treated as masters’ degrees. So an applicant with a DVM could be admitted to a sixty hour PhD with no credits eligible for transfer, or admitted to a master’s degree and allowed to transfer up to nine credit hours.

It is possible to take a course outside of OSU while you are in the middle of a degree program, online or traditional. If you want that course to count toward your degree program, three criteria need to be met.

1) The course must be a graduate level course offered by an accredited university and be taught by a member of that institution’s graduate faculty.

2) You must earn a letter grade of ‘B’ or better in the course.

3) Your advisory committee must have approved the course for use in your degree plan.

Maybe. If you are participating in an OSU study abroad program, then you will probably be enrolled in OSU credit hours while completing the international experience. If you are actually registering at an international institution for a semester or year, then you will be earning hours as a student of that institution and will need to transfer those credits back to OSU.

Transfer courses should be entered individually in the “Transfer / Non-Graduate Courses” section at the bottom of the Update Courses screen. Be sure to enter all information for the course(s) as it appears on the transcript from the institution where the credits were earned. You do not need to match transfer courses to equivalent courses at Oklahoma State University for the Plan of Study.

Transfer courses at the graduate level are not listed on the OSU transcript. If they are on your approved plan of study, then they are officially part of your approved degree requirements. When you graduate, a notation will be added to your transcript stating that ___ hours were transferred from _____ institution and counted toward the degree requirements. Also be aware that since transfer courses are not directly transcripted, they do not affect your cumulative GPA.

The written policies governing transfer of graduate credit can be found in the Graduate College section of the University Catalog. The Office of the Registrar typically has a PDF version of the most recent edition of the Catalog available on their website :

The Graduate College website is packed with useful information, and should always have the most recent version of any form you might need :