- About OSU
- News and Information
- Visit OSU
- Faculty / Staff
- Online Support
- Student Life
- On Campus
- Online Support
- Future Students
- First Steps
- Academic Opportunities
- Student Services
- University Resources
- Apply Now
Graduate College Fellowship Programs
Oklahoma State University enthusiastically supports our McNair Graduate Fellows and City Year National Service Scholars programs.
Requirements and benefits are below.
1. A letter of good standing (McNair) or participation (City Year) is required to be uploaded to the application for admission to graduate studies. When the good standing/participation letter is submitted, an application fee waiver can be issued.
2. Application to be accepted to a Graduate College Fellowship program must be made at the time of initial application for the first graduate degree at OSU.
3. Acceptance into these programs is competitive and not guaranteed.
4. Being accepted into a Master’s or PhD degree seeking program is required. Graduate certificate programs are not eligible.
5. A residential graduate program, meaning a program offered on either Stillwater, Tulsa, or CHS campuses is required. McNair Graduate Fellows and City Year National Service Scholars applicants may not be in a distance-learning program.
6. Travel funds are available for professional development activities, poster presentation, conferences, etc.
7. McNair Graduate Fellows and City Year National Service Scholars programs, if accepted, receive a tuition waiver based on this title. No other tuition waivers may apply. MGF or CYNSS students who have a graduate teaching or research assistantship, the GSSI tuition waiver applies. If the student is a full time employee on campus, the faculty/staff tuition waiver would apply. The student would not be eligible for a McNair Graduate Fellowship or City Year National Scholars’ tuition waiver. However, a student maintaining their good standing in the McNair Graduate Fellowship or City Year National Scholars programs are eligible for a tuition waiver in subsequent semesters, if their assistantship or faculty/staff position is not renewed.
8. For students accepted to the McNair Graduate Fellows or City Year National Service Scholars program, a meeting with a Graduate College academic advisor is required once each semester in order to show degree progression and answer program or academic questions the student may have. Fellows or Scholars not maintaining good academic standing or making expected progress to earning their degree will be dismissed from the program.
9. Tuition waivers are limited to graduate degree program credit hours required by the Oklahoma State regents for Higher Education to earn the degree sought. In order to receive a tuition waiver, a McNair Graduate Fellow or City Year National Service Scholar must be enrolled full time. If you have an assistantship for the current semester, a Fellow or Scholar would need to be enrolled in at least 6 graduate credit hours in order to be tuition waiver eligible. If a Scholar or Fellow does not have an assistantship for the current semester, enrollment of 9 graduate credit hours is required.
10. Honor cords for commencement ceremony are available for those fellows and scholars completing their degree and meeting all requirements.
1. Any applicants wanting to be accepted for the McNair Graduate Fellowship program will need to have graduated with their undergraduate degree no longer than five years prior to that start of their graduate studies as a fellow.
2. You may not receive McNair funds on a second Master’s or second PhD degree, even if you attended a different university. McNair Graduate Fellowship funds are for students obtaining their first graduate degree or Master’s degree with immediate progression to an associated doctoral degree in progression. If your received a Master’s degree from another university and would then like to apply for a PhD degree, you can be reviewed for acceptance into the program. If you have received a Master’s degree from another university and then would like to pursue a Master’s at Oklahoma State University, you would not be eligible for McNair Graduate Fellowship status.
Applicants will not be reviewed or given City Year National Service Scholars status, if you have already completed a graduate degree at OSU or another university.
To receive an application fee waiver for former McNair Scholars, obtain a letter of good standing from your McNair director and upload it to your OSU graduate application prior to submitting it as directed below. If needed, here is an example of a good standing letter.
To upload your letter of good standing:
- Save your director signed letter in pdf, .doc, .docx, .rtf, or .txt format
- Complete your application
- On page 13, complete the “Did you graduate from a recognized Ronald E. McNair Scholars program?” section
- Upload your letter
Difficulties uploading your letter? Please contact the Graduate College (405-744-6368) and ask for Dr. Ken Clinkenbeard.
Continue on to request an application fee waiver:
- Selecting the “Submit and Pay” button on the lower right
- On the “Payment Processing” page, click the “Request a Fee Waiver” selection
- Choose the “I am a McNair Scholar” button
- Once your eligibility for the former McNair Scholar application fee waiver is confirmed and you are admitted to a qualifying OSU graduate program, you will be automatically reviewed for eligibility for the OSU McNair Graduate Fellowship Program. This is a competitive program and applying early for your preferred graduate program is strongly suggested. If you are selected for a Fellowship offer, you will be contacted by the OSU Graduate College.
Enrolled OSU graduate students who are McNair Graduate Fellows in good academic standing are eligible to apply for up to $500 in travel expense reimbursements from the OSU Graduate College for single-event travel expenses related to professional development, such as attendance at a professional conference/meeting or collection of research data.
OSU Travel Policies apply, and questions regarding reimbursable travel expenses and the reimbursement procedures should be directed to Ms. Jodie Kennedy (405-744-6368; firstname.lastname@example.org) in the Graduate College prior to making travel plans.
Note: Only one travel request can be awarded per semester, with a maximum of three travel reimbursement awards per degree sought as a fellow, applies.
To be eligible for potential travel reimbursement
1. Complete and submit this travel award form and requested documentation as soon as you receive confirmation for your professional conference/meeting attendance or finalized plans for research data collection travel. Click here to submit form.