Skip Navigation
Oklahoma State University
Graduate College

Oklahoma State University

Developing the person, the scholar and the professional...

FAQ: U.S. Visa Categories

Prospective Stuent Banner

Definitions of the most common visa types are below. Click on the category to review the different classifications in each category.

Most students entering university or English language institutes in the United States will use an F-1 visa. Students on F-1 visas come to the United States for full degree programs.

Some students may use a J-1 visa if coming for educational and cultural exchange programs. Students on J-1 visa typically come to the United States to study for a shorter period of time - one to two semesters