City Year National Service Scholars
City Year, an education-focused nonprofit organization operating in more than 20 US cities, enlists volunteers to give a year or more of service to their communities. City Year Americorps members make measurable impacts on the lives of the students in the communities they serve and grow as an individuals in the process. Oklahoma State University is proud to partner with City Year through our shared visions and values of integrating the power of knowledge and service in addressing social problems. The partnership allows idealistic and committed City Year leaders with a high level of maturity, insight and experience working in diverse settings to seek graduate degrees in a supportive environment with colleagues from other City Year programs throughout the United States. City Year AmeriCorps members completing their year of service or senior corps members, alumni and staff may apply to become OSU Graduate College City Year National Service Scholars.
- City Year National Scholars Requirements
- A letter of good standing is required to be uploaded to the application for admission to graduate studies. When the good standing/participation letter is submitted, an application fee waiver can be issued.
- You may not receive City Year funds on a second Master’s or second PhD degree, even if you attended a different university. City Year National Service Scholars funds are for students obtaining their first graduate degree or Master’s degree with immediate progression to an associated doctoral degree in progression. If your received a Master’s degree from another university and would then like to apply for a PhD degree, you can be reviewed for acceptance into the program. If you have received a Master’s degree from another university and then would like to pursue a Master’s at Oklahoma State University, you would not be eligible for City Year National Service Scholars status.
- Application to be accepted to a City Year National Service Scholars program must be made at the time of initial application for the first graduate degree at OSU.
- Acceptance into the City Year National Service Scholars program is competitive and not guaranteed.
- Students are required to be admitted without qualification to a Master’s or PhD degree seeking program. Students admitted to graduate certificate programs or who are admitted on probation or provisionally are not eligible.
- A residential graduate program, meaning a program offered on either Stillwater, Tulsa, or CHS campuses is required. City Year National Service Scholars applicants may not be in a distance-learning program.
- For students accepted to the City Year National Service Scholars program, a meeting with a Graduate College academic advisor is required once each semester in order to show degree progression and answer program or academic questions the student may have. Scholars not maintaining good academic standing or making expected progress to earning their degree will be dismissed from the program.
- Tuition waivers are limited to graduate degree program credit hours required by the Oklahoma State regents for Higher Education to earn the degree sought. In order to receive a tuition waiver, a City Year National Service Scholars must be enrolled full time. If you have an assistantship for the current semester, a Scholar would need to be enrolled in at least 6 graduate credit hours in order to be tuition waiver eligible. If a Fellow does not have an assistantship for the current semester, enrollment of 9 graduate credit hours is required.
- Professional development is required by all City Year Scholars each semester and reported through 360° Critical Skills for Career Success.
- City Year National Scholars BenefitsTravel funds are available for professional development activities, poster presentations, conferences, collection of research data, etc.
- Travel reimbursement of funds up to a maximum of $500
- Reimbursement can be used once per trip
- Reimbursement can be used once per semester
- Reimbursement can be used three times during the fellow’s degree studies. You will need to fill out the form in the following link.
- City Year National Service Scholars, if accepted, receive a tuition waiver based on this title. No other tuition waivers may apply. CYNSS students who have a graduate teaching or research assistantship, the GSSI tuition waiver applies. If the student is a full time employee on campus, the faculty/staff tuition waiver would apply. The student would not be eligible for a City Year National Scholars’ tuition waiver. However, a student maintaining their good standing in the City Year National Scholars program are eligible for a tuition waiver in subsequent semesters, if their assistantship or faculty/staff position is not renewed.
- Tuition waivers are limited to graduate degree program credit hours required by the Oklahoma State regents for Higher Education to earn the degree sought. In order to receive a tuition waiver, City Year National Service Scholars must be enrolled full time. If you have an assistantship for the current semester, a Scholar would need to be enrolled in at least 6 graduate credit hours in order to be tuition waiver eligible. If a Scholar does not have an assistantship for the current semester, enrollment of 9 graduate credit hours is required.
City Year National Scholars applying for graduate programs at Oklahoma State University are eligible to receive application fee waivers. A letter of good standing from your City Year director must be uploaded to your OSU graduate application prior to submitting as directed below.
- Start and complete your OSU application here.
- On our application please identify that you are a City Year National Scholar.
- Save your director signed letter in pdf, .doc, .docx, .rtf, or .txt format.
- Once your eligibility for the former City Year application fee waiver is confirmed and you are admitted to a qualifying OSU graduate program, you will be automatically reviewed for eligibility for the OSU City Year National Scholars Program.
- The City Year National Scholars program is a competitive program and applying early for your preferred graduate program is strongly recommended.
- If you are selected for a Scholars offer, you will be contacted by the OSU Graduate College.